Practical Uses for Google Analytics
There are so many uses for Google Analytics it would be impossible to cover all of them in a short guide. So here are some of the best ways you can use Google Analytics to increase your traffic and grow your firm.
Identify Successful Content
Analytics is great for figuring out which pages your visitors are landing on the most. It also tells you where they go next. This is useful for finding out what content is most effective at pulling in traffic so you can write more of that kind of content.
Let’s say you see a large portion of your traffic visiting an article on tax deductions. You could write more articles on tax deductions, going more in-depth or covering different angles. You could write articles about different types of tax minimisation as well.
Identifying your key content is important, because you will be able to decide:
- What type of content you should write more of;
- What kind of content isn’t working, so you don’t waste time on it;
- Which topics your visitors are most interested in;
- Which articles to focus links on to boost their search rankings.
Getting More Search Engine Traffic
Everyone wants more traffic from Google, but without Analytics, it can be hard to figure out where to concentrate your efforts. You can use Analytics to figure out a plan to help boost your search engine position and attract more traffic.
Most of your information for this will come from the acquisition reports. If you go to ‘Acquisition’ > ‘Search Console’ > ‘Queries’, you’ll discover the keywords people are using to find your site. It will also tell you the position you were in at the time and how many people clicked when they saw your page.
Note: This information is more accurate if your site is added to Google Search Console and linked to your Analytics account.
Here are some ways you can use Analytics to get more traffic from search engines:
- Identify successful and unsuccessful content;
- Figure out which keywords users are using to find your site;
- Find out which keywords you’re ranking near page one for so you can get more links to boost them to the first page. Here’s one of our link building strategies.
- Find out which pages are most popular so you can send share them more on social media.
- Find out which keywords are getting the highest click through rate (CTR) in the search results to know which articles might need to be changed (such as title or description changes) to get more clicks.
Traffic Sources That Are Working Best
If you visit your dashboard and go to ‘Acquisition’ > ‘All Traffic’ > ‘Source/Medium’, you will find out which sites are sending you the most traffic. This can be helpful in figuring out where to focus your marketing efforts, as well as what you could improve to get more traffic from other sites.
It can also provide you with information about too much traffic that may be coming from a single source. Like investing, you don’t want to put all your eggs in one basket. A good distribution across search, social, referrals and ads is ideal.